The Living Room Farm /

experiences

Search

Bengalurkaran (Bangalorean)

Think about it, does an individuals name genuinely describe the person? By the time a person reaches middle age they would have built a character beyond repair, and sometimes their names are such a mismatch. I wonder if we should be continuously evolving our names to suit who we really are now.


Luckily we have a.k.a (Also Known As) to our rescue. a.k.a are genuinely representative of an individual because they are earned names by hard work/ stupidity or shortened name that is more digital-friendly (also useful for covert activities) or more embarrassing pet names originating out of dear once imagination.


Our a.k.a is Bengalurkarans around the villages where our farm is located. We have earned this name because we fit the archetype of well fed, well groomed, overexcited Bangaloreans.


What are Bengalurkaran’s up to?


We are in a rain deficit region in the midst of extreme water situation in south India. We received small showers last week that was just enough to run the ploughs. The land was otherwise too hard to till since we have borewell we can get going with this jump start.


A few weeks back we had sown 500 green chillies, we planted the seedlings in the open air as the nursery was not yet ready. Since our nursery project is still behind schedule, we lost that batch.


Putting that chapter behind we started over again this time with Tomato. To save time we got 30+ days old saplings from a nearby nursery.

We got the saplings to the farm and let it harden in the shade for two weeks.

While saplings were settling down, we created planting pads.

Since we did not have drip irrigation at Palacode, we decided to build a quick and dirty drip irrigation system on our own. From local Agri shop, we bought all the pipes, joints and ventury (this is used to administer water solvable inputs in the drip system).

Three hours later our first self-built drip irrigation system was ready.

Next, we ran the drip pipes called laterals and let the water run for a while. We also administered Trichoderma and Pseudomonas to enrich the otherwise nutrient devoid soil.

Once the ground was wet using stakes, we dug small holes to plant the saplings into these holes, we added Goat manure, Vermi compost, Rhizobium and Phosphobacteria. That should give our seedlings enough nutrition as they root.

Finally, we ran a mulching sheet to prevent weeds and conserve water. This time we want to experiment using mulching sheet across two crops.

Last week we transplanted saplings into the field.

By November we will have yummy sour Tomatoes ideal for cooking. This variety is called Shivam and is very popular around this side.

52 views

© 2018 Copy right of Jana & Chandru from The Living Room Farm